J.E.T.S. # 1 FAN SITE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW YORK JETS Sports Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jets’ Favre: ‘I expect us to make the playoffs’

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MACHJETS

MACHJETS
Admin

Brett Favre has been through too many playoff races to allow his confidence to waver.

Nope, not even now, with the New York Jets going from anointed as an AFC Super Bowl favorite to being labeled a huge disappointment in just two weeks.

“I expect us to make the playoffs,” Favre said Wednesday. “I would hope that every guy in that locker room feels the same way. Why think any different?”

Well, because after impressive victories on the road at New England and previously undefeated Tennessee punctuated a five-game winning streak, the Jets (8-5) have looked lousy in losses to Denver and San Francisco. That’s hardly the mark of a team destined for postseason greatness.

“I didn’t expect us to lose the last two games,” Favre said. “But I don’t know if too many people expected us to win five straight. Maybe our team did. So, if we’re able to win five straight and accept that, then we have to be willing to deal with these two games that we’ve lost and figure out a way to turn it around.”

The grizzled quarterback was asked if this last stretch of games could be considered “Favre Time,” with so much on the line this late in the season.

“What is Favre Time? Magic or whatever?” Favre said with a laugh, reaching into his shorts pockets and throwing his hands in the air. “We’ll see. My intentions are to go out and win every game. My intentions are to go out and make every play a great play.”

One place to start would be on third- and fourth-down opportunities. The Jets went 1-for-10 on third downs against the 49ers and 3-for-11 against the Broncos, and were 1-for-5 on fourth downs in those two games.

“Whenever you go 1-for-10 on third-down conversions, you’re going to have a game where you’ve only got 20 minutes possession,” coach Eric Mangini said. “When you have those limited opportunities, it’s hard to score a lot of points with having the ball for such a short amount of time.”

After scoring 115 points in their last three victories, a franchise record for scoreboard production, the Jets have just 31 since. Favre has shouldered some of the blame, saying he hasn’t been as sharp as he could with throws and decisions.

“I don’t think there’s any one part of my game that shouldn’t get better,” he said. “I’m never content with the way I play. I’m always looking for an edge.”

Favre has gone nine quarters without throwing a touchdown pass, yet still ranks fourth in the AFC with 20. His completion percentage of 68.4 is still the best of his 18-year career, but he’s also tied for the NFL lead with 15 interceptions.

“He does a lot of things really well,” Mangini said. “It’s not one glaring sort of area that needs to be addressed.”

There are plenty of things on the team that certainly do, but the Jets still control their playoff future despite a three-way tie with New England and Miami at the top of the AFC East. New York plays Buffalo, at Seattle and at home against the Dolphins to finish the regular season.

“To me, the worst thing that can happen for me, for this team, is to all of the sudden hit the panic button, want to change, believe in what maybe people are saying about us, which I’m sure is not good,” Favre said. “I haven’t read anything, but I don’t see why we would deserve a lot of good things right now. Three weeks ago, we were the toast of the town.”

Favre even brought his Super Bowl ring from Green Bay’s title run 12 seasons ago on the flight to San Francisco as added motivation. It didn’t work, but Favre still believes in this squad.

“I think we’re a pretty good football team,” Favre said. “I think we’ve proven that this year. So, I don’t think we need to change anything.”

Except for maybe that underlying feeling among Jets fans that this will be yet another collapse for a franchise that has seen its fair share of disappointments since winning its only Super Bowl 40 years ago.

“Oh, there they go again, the old Jets,” Favre said. “I haven’t read that, but I’m assuming that’s … why wouldn’t you say that? Pardon my French, but, hell, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I really don’t. I’m aware of what’s happened here in the past for the most part. But to be quite honest, I don’t care.

“I care about what’s happening in the next three weeks.”

Favre was a New Orleans Saints fan while growing up in Kiln, Miss., enduring one miserable season after another, so he understands what Jets fans have gone through.

“I never quite got to wearing a bag over my head, but I was close,” he said with a big grin. “Every time something went wrong, same old thing. And I was miserable. And I’m sure the Jets fans probably feel the same way as I did growing up as a Saints fan. …

“We would like to have won these last two games, but we’re in good position. Let’s ride the wave, see what happens and at the end of the year regroup and hopefully it was good enough. But we still control our own destiny.”

https://newyorkjetsfans.forumotion.net/

MACHJETS

MACHJETS
Admin

You know what? I believe!

https://newyorkjetsfans.forumotion.net/

GreenBlood

GreenBlood
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

I believe too Favre and the rest of the team of get it done.

GANG GREEN

GANG GREEN
Admin

I like what i hear from Favre he believes as do I that this Jets team just doesn't know how good they really are time for them to wake up and start winning again with Brett Favre leading the way.
Jets’ Favre: ‘I expect us to make the playoffs’ L_c46e11

https://newyorkjetsfans.forumotion.net

NamathFavre420

NamathFavre420
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

amen to that

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum