J.E.T.S. # 1 FAN SITE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW YORK JETS Sports Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are Favre and Jets Ready for an Amicable Divorce?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GANG GREEN

GANG GREEN
Admin

I think the Jets have just sent the divorce papers to Brett Favre. When owner Woody Johnson said Thursday in New York that Favre would have to participate in the offseason program if he wanted to return, he was echoing something felt in the Jets locker room and said openly after the season by safety Kerry Rhodes.

Problem is, Favre will never attend a team’s full offseason program. Those programs were ones he skipped for 16 springs and summers in Green Bay — and you’re kidding yourself if you think he’s going to move back to New Jersey for 12 to 16 weeks in March. “I’ve never been in a [full] offseason program,” Favre told me a month ago.

What makes the most sense now is, sometime after the Super Bowl, Favre and the Jets having an amicable separation, and Favre retiring. This time for good. The Jets have a new coach and need to move on to a new future with Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens or a rookie quarterback of the next decade.
This of course is all based on the fact that Favre does come back … which I think it’s a fair assumption that he will want to. If you’re asking him to participate in the offseason program, I think it’s the fair thing to do. The dude threw 22 interceptions last season, so clearly his game with the receivers could use some extra practice. If Favre truly wants to win (anyone else remember that “inspiring” pre-game speech against the Dolphins, holy crap) then maybe it’s time he do something he’s never done before. The freeloading gravy train should be over. He’s not in Green Bay anymore … the aloofness, the separation from his teammates, these don’t sound like the hallmarks of what Rex Ryan has been talking about regarding teammates and helping each other out for almost a week.

The problem is, I don’t think the Jets organization has the stones to enforce it. When it boils down to it, the guy is getting paid $13 million, the least he could do is work some in the offseason … especially considering he’s unwilling to undergo the knife.

Let’s see how this plays out, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the owner softening his statement publicly in the next few months.

https://newyorkjetsfans.forumotion.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum